Author Topic: Russian language question...  (Read 87 times)

firehawk

• Taco-loving pseudozombie
  • PunScore: +38/-16
  • Braaaaaaainz....
Russian language question...
« on: March 13, 2018, 12:09:55 AM »
If I knew how to spell it in Cyrllic, perhaps Google Translate would be of use and I could get an answer myself, but since I don't, it's not, so I can't.

I'm fond of watching those "car crash" and "worst driver" videos on YouTube.

I know, from the movie Patton and my dad (dunno where he learned; he's not of Russian ancestry) what the word used for "son of a bitch", "bitch", and/or "bastard" when cussing.

However, I just watched a video where a lady kept yelling what sounded like "basha!" at someone who had just cut them off and forced them to rear-end him.

What does that mean?  "Asshole"?  "Prick"?  "Fuck you"?  Something else?

EDIT: For extra credit, the entire conversation is here, starting just after the 3 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxO4KbYPRyk

wwill

• PunScore: +37/-5
Re: Russian language question... "Pasha" is the diminutive of "Pavel."
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 05:48:46 AM »
Pavel is the driver's name.  "Pasha" is the familiar, or diminutive, or "nickname" of Pavel.  (I'm "Vasilij" and the diminutive is "Vasya.")

There is a LOT of Russian swearing going on in that section of the video, mostly of the, "Don't be an asshole as big as HE is" sort of a wife/girlfriend trying to get ol' Pavel to not escalate the insanity already going on.  I didn't try to follow all of it, but mostly it's the sort of thing you'd expect, "What an idiot" and "What is that asshole trying to prove" and the like.

firehawk

• Braaaaaaainz....
Re: Russian language question...
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 06:19:54 AM »
I think if my girlfriend/wife was calling my name THAT bloody often in the middle of a pressure situation, I'd yell "WHAT?!" or perhaps something less polite.

Not pretending to be the expert, but it's probably "duh"-level obvious that I'd be "Mikhail".  The dimuntive would be..."Misha"?  "Mishka"?  (or is the "ka" the female version?)

Thankee for clearing that up. ^_^

How's everything else going?  Less hectic, I hope?

Ripley8

• PunScore: +6/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »
Not pretending to be the expert, but it's probably "duh"-level obvious that I'd be "Mikhail".  The dimuntive would be..."Misha"?  "Mishka"?  (or is the "ka" the female version?)

From my understanding it would be similar to a "William" who's called "Bill" by friends and to his mom is still little "Billy".  So "Misha" would probably what friend's might call you and "Mishka" the diminutive.

wwill

• PunScore: +37/-5
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 04:00:59 PM »
Mishka is the even-more-familiar form of Misha.

"Тихо, Мишка!  Кот на крише!"

"Quiet, Mikey! The cat's on the roof!" which is the colloquialism equivalent to the English, "Cheese it!  It's the cops!" or similar sayings.

firehawk

• Braaaaaaainz....
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 10:30:46 PM »
Mishka is the even-more-familiar form of Misha.

"Тихо, Мишка!  Кот на крише!"

"Quiet, Mikey! The cat's on the roof!" which is the colloquialism equivalent to the English, "Cheese it!  It's the cops!" or similar sayings.
I suddenly have an urge to see video of Bender (from Futurama) speaking Russian, and see a direct translation.  ;D  I'll have to surf teh YouTubezez.

firehawk

• Braaaaaaainz....
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 01:52:25 AM »
One more (more videos)...I take it that "bilyat" (or "builyat") is not a nice word? (Sorry, best transliteration I can do.)